First Tee’s Top 5 Reasons Girls Should Play Sports—Like Golf!
1. Builds confidence: Girls who play sports have greater levels of self-esteem, self-image and are less likely to use illicit drugs.
2. Golf scholarships: Did you know that hundreds of female college golf scholarships are unused each year?
3. Friendships: Golf is a fantastic way for girls to build lasting relationships with others while experiencing competition in a fun, supportive environment.
4. Develop a strong work ethic: 82% of women in executive-level jobs who played organized sports in middle, high or post-secondary school reported that sports, like golf, helped them with leadership skills, teamwork, discipline and perseverance.
5. Perseverance: And, of course by being involved with sports, girls learn how to keep playing when nothing seems to go right.
First Tee - Benton Harbor Girls on the Green program provides girls the platform they need to become high-achievers in their personal goals, boost their self-esteem and experience competition in a fun, supportive environment.
Studies have consistently shown that when girls learn in a “girl-friendly” environment, they:
- Experience higher levels of engagement and participation
- Are more comfortable learning and developing skills
- Have heightened confidence in their abilities for self-expression and communication.
- Are more likely to engage in-group activities.